Shale Gas News – April 8, 2023

shale gas news
Shale Gas NewsBill desRosiers
External Affairs Coordinator, Coterra Energy
Host, Shale Gas News

The Shale Gas News, heard every Saturday at 10 AM on 94.3 FM, 1510 AM, 1600 AM, 104.1 FM and Sundays on YesFM, talked about NatGas prices, Mountain Valley Pipeline, Crypto and much more last week.

The Shale Gas News has grown again to the Williamsport area on stations WEJS 1600 AM & 104.1 FM. The Shale Gas News is now broadcasting in Bradford, Lackawanna, Lancaster, Lebanon, Luzerne, Lycoming, Pike, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Tioga and Wayne Counties, as well as in greater central PA and now the Williamsport area. The Shale Gas News is aired on Saturday or Sunday depending on the station.

Every Saturday Rusty Fender, Matt Henderson and I host a morning radio show to discuss all things shale gas.

Shale Gas News

Off-Grid Bitcoin Mine

The Shale Gas News, typically, is broadcast live. On the April 8th show (click above), we covered the following new natural gas territory (see news excerpts below):

  • OH Lawsuit Filed Against Utica Fracker Accuses Subsurface Trespass. In a case initially filed last summer in Ohio, a Belmont County mineral rights owner alleges that Rice Drilling (now owned by EQT) drained natural gas from a rock layer it did not have the right to access according to the signed lease. Golden Eagle Resources says the lease allowed Rice to drill down only as far as the Utica Shale layer, which Rice did. However, Golden Eagle says fractures from Rice’s fracking of the Utica layer reached down into the adjacent Point Pleasant layer and drained some of the gas from the Point Pleasant too–and that’s a no-no according to the lease.
  • Wild Swings in NatGas Price “Here to Stay for Foreseeable Future” – The past 18 months have been a wild ride for natural gas prices. We’ve gone from years of low prices to spiking near $10/MMBtu. In just the past few months, prices have dropped like a rock. The price dropped to a fresh 30-month low yesterday. The NYMEX price now threatens to dip below $2/MMBtu. Crazy! According to analysts speaking with Argus Media, we can expect continued wild gyrations in the price of natural gas “for the foreseeable future.” Some analysts say that volatility (sudden spikes up and down) in the price of natgas “could be here to stay.” As in permanently. categorically lying to avoid more action by states in dropping BlackRock funds.
  • Four Possible Outcomes for Stalled Mountain Valley Pipeline Project. The 303-mile Mountain Valley Pipeline (MVP) that runs from Wetzel County, WV, to Pittsylvania County, VA is 94% complete (has been for two years) but sits idle, waiting for the other 6% to be completed so it can start up and begin to flow Marcellus/Utica molecules to the southeastern U.S. Lawsuits funded by Big Green groups (with foreign connections) have blocked the completion of the project…for YEARS. It would be fair to say the project is currently in a stalemate with Big Green radicals, who somehow have coopted the help of three Democrat judges who sit on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Stalemates don’t go on forever. One way or the other, this situation will get resolved–likely this year. There are four potential outcomes for the stalled MVP project, a project critical to the future of the Marcellus/Utica.
  • NYMEX Henry Hub Crashing and Burning – Lowest Close in 30 Months. We consider $2/MMBtu to be “the basement” when it comes to the price of natural gas trading at the nation’s benchmark Henry Hub in southern Louisiana. Yesterday we almost hit the bottom of the basement, with gas closing at $2.03. What happens if gas (gasp) closes below $2? Do we call that the sub-basement? Are we breaking through the barrier and right down into hell? Whatever you call it, prepare yourself. Why did gas tumble again yesterday to a new 30-month low? And will it go lower?
  • Diversified Gives Old Natural Gas Wells New Life Mining Crypto. Diversified Energy (formerly Diversified Gas & Oil), with major assets in the Marcellus/Utica region (and other regions too), owns approximately 8 million acres of leases with close to 70,000 (mostly) conventional oil and gas wells. The company’s business model is to buy lower-producing wells on the cheap and find ways to make them more productive. One of the new ways Diversified is looking to make money with old wells is by mining cryptocurrency at wells in remote locations not hooked to a pipeline network. Diversified wants to try it with a well in northwestern Pennsylvania. Unsurprisingly, it’s generating some controversy…

The Shale Gas News sponsored by Linde Corporation

The post Shale Gas News – April 8, 2023 appeared first on Natural Gas Now. This post appeared first on Natural Gas Now.